Fast loading is one feature which you can’t afford to ignore in this competitive online environment. Sometimes it becomes the deciding factor in your ranking on search engines like Google. In a WordPress website theme becomes a very important factor in making your website load faster or slower. There are 100s of 1000s of themes available for WordPress in the market. Some of them are fast and some are ultra slow. A slow and heavy theme can take a big toll on your website. Here I will discuss some themes which can make your site very fast.
Benefits of a Fast Loading WordPress Theme and in turn a WordPress Website :
- Better Rank On Search Engines – Believe it or not your website’s loading speed play a large role in your ranking. It is related to the user experience and every search engine around mainly Google is very much concerned about providing the best user experience to its visitors. They want to suggest sites which are fast loading, easy to navigate through and also have good content. If your sites take too much time to load, it might not be the best choice for search engine irrespective of the quality of your content. People will close your website before reading anything on it. You should keep a track of the page loading speed also while creating content. If you are using a WordPress website then the theme will become a very important factor in deciding the speed of your website. If you are using a slow loading theme or heavy theme, it will destroy the ranking of your website in spite of you keeping great content on it.
- Better User Experience – User Experience is the most important thing you should be caring about while creating any type of website. If the users are getting a great experience on your website, they will come back again and again. If the user comes, search engines will surely follow. Your website’s speed play a crucial role in users experience. If your website is slow and lull, users will get irritated and will close your website and will never come back again. On the other hand, if your website opens fast, they will feel better and will come back to your website even if you have slightly weaker content on your website. You should check the performance of your website on Desktop as well as on Mobile devices before going live. If should perform well on mobile also. As Mobile devices have a smaller screen size you may opt to compromise some sections of your website which may not be that relevant on the mobile phone (I believe you know about Media Queries).
- More People Will Read Your Content And See Your Graphics – I can say that this is the reason why you are writing good content and creating eye-catching images. If your website runs slow, people will move out of your site even before having a look at your content. It defeats your very purpose of creating this high-quality content. If your website loads faster people will stay longer and navigate through your content easily. They will thus read/watch your content and appreciate it.
- Site Can Handle More Traffic – What if a large number of visitors comes to your website at once. If you have already taken care of the speed factor of your website, your visitors will not feel any trouble. But if your website is already slow loading then a large amount of traffic will create a disaster. The moment which would have to bring a celebration will bring tears for you. Keep your site ready for a large traffic. If you are creating high-quality content it will eventually come for sure and it should be a happy day for you.
- Less Load On Server Resources – If your site is fast loading, it will keep the server resources busy for a lesser time. In turn, your server will perform well and will be able to handle more traffic and operations. Also if you using pay-as-use service, you will have to pay less for your server.
Major Factors affecting Speed of your WordPress website:
- Server Resources – Server resources is one thing which is the foremost requirement for your website’s good performance. If you are using a low-class server, it is going to take a toll on your website’s speed. You should check the following server parameters before deciding on purchasing it :
- Utilizable Web Space
- CPU specifications
- RAM capacity
- Whether you are getting minimum guaranteed resources for your website or not.
- Use of Heavy Images – Though I can understand that you want to keep the high-quality images on your website but non-web-optimized images can make your website difficult to load. You should optimize or minimize your images before loading it on your website. There are tools available which can help you reduce the size of your image on your WordPress website without loss of quality
- Use of Slow Theme – A slow theme can impact the speed of your website beyond your expectations. You shouldn’t only look for the beauty of the theme while getting the website done but should also look for its performance parameters. We will discuss it in sections below in more details.
- Excessive use of Plugins – Use of plugins should be kept limited. Don’t install any plugin you find interesting. It slows down your website drastically. Install only the plugins which come from authenticated authors and are getting updated regularly. An obsolete plugin can create multiple issues in your website along with slowing it down.
Tools to Check Your WordPress Website Loading Speed :
There are some free tools you can use to check the loading speed of your WordPress Website. Here are a few tools which you can use to check the speed of your WordPress Website –
a. Google Page Speed Insight – It is the most popular and reliable one as it comes directly from Google. This provides you valuable insight about your web pages performance on various parameters. Using this data you can plan on how to improve the speed of your website. It provides you information separately about the performance of your website on mobile devices which help you in improving the speed of your mobile site also.
b. Pingdom Tools Full Page Test – After Google, it is the most reliable page speed test tool. It also provides a great insight about your website’s performance which helps you in improving its speed.
c. Google Analytics – It was a last-minute addition to this list. Though it is not very popular to test the speed of your website’s pages. But once you integrate your website with it, it keeps analyzing your websites speed performance for you and you can get this data to use. You can learn how to integrate Google Analytics into your WordPress Website.
d. GTMetrix – Very few people might know about it but it is a very sophisticated tool to analyze the performance of your website. It gives you very useful insight about your website’s speed and other performance parameters.
I would suggest you use multiple tools before reaching any conclusion about the speed of your website. Take an average of 2 tools and plan accordingly.
Top 10 Fastest loading WordPress themes :
- OceanWP – It is one of the most popular WordPress themes. Its best part is that is super lightweight and don’t carry any unnecessary burden. It is very simple yet very powerful. You can customize each and every part of it just from the customizer panel be it font, color or page layout. Elementor is its favorite plugin. You can create any type of website with this theme easily
- Jevelin – Jevelin has also become very popular among WordPress themes. It is created by a group of well-skilled WordPress developers. Its biggest strength is its abundance in layouts for different pages. With this abundance also it is very light and fast loading. It is also well suited for any type of website.
- Gillion- Gillion theme is suited for News and Magazine websites. It is loaded with 7 prebuilt demos with a number of customizations. It has Visual Composer as page builder.
- Scalia – This theme comes with Visual Composer and a Video slider, still it performs well on the loading front.
- Top SEO – It is mainly used by digital agencies and advertisers for the purpose of improving the SEO. This theme doesn’t use any plugin and also has its own page builder. Though it may take some time to load if fully equipped but will give better results with limited content.
- Structure – It looks good mainly for construction business and also carries several demos for it, but can be used for any type of business purpose. It is also quite light and fast loading .
- MegPlus – MegPlus is another WordPress theme suitable for News and Magazine site and has a great performance.
- Avada – It is one of the best selling themes on Theme marketplaces like ThemeForest. It is famous for its good looks as well as its fast performance.
- Schema – Schema is a high performance thems especially suitable for news, magazine or blog sites.
- The Core – The Core is a high class theme suitable for small business website. Its performance is really breathtaking.