As it happens with every ultra-famous platform, WordPress also has its own share of myths. People have a lot of doubts about WordPress and some of them keep spreading them with all their wit. Especially the people who have never or very less used WordPress. Those who have used WordPress knows that it is a very strong platform. Even if it has some minor deficiency, its strong community has created supporting modules called plugins to cover them up.
Still, people will always have their doubts and they keep searching that what may go wrong if they go ahead with WordPress for their website. As an ardent WordPress user and supporter, I feel I should try to burst at least some of those myths.
Today we are going to burst 7 myths about the WordPress Websites which might be bothering you :
- I can make only blogs on WordPress – It’s not like that, you can create any type of website on WordPress be it business website, E-commerce website and any other type of portal. Though WordPress was initially formulated as a blogging platform as is quite evident from looking at WordPress.com even today. But Self-hosted WordPress has grown a lot since then and it is a now a really versatile platform where you can create any type of website. Its community has come up with lacks of themes and plugins with complements its design and functionality. You just start thinking of some particular type of website and you will find a theme or plugin for that. So, guys, it’s not just a blogging platform. You can make you any type of business website without any worry.
You can make and manage quite large websites on WordPress. Also, the number of visitors on your WordPress website can be limitless if you use a powerful server. Most of the time the performance limitations are due to the server’s capacity and not due to WordPress’ capacity. If you are facing difficulty with your WordPress website’s performance, check with your hosting service provider and ask him to suggest you a better solution. Even most of the hosting companies are offering specialized WordPress hosting with configuration optimized for WordPress websites. There are few companies like WPEngine which are offering only WordPress Hosting. So there are lot of such resources available, you just have to look around a bit.
- WordPress Websites are easily hackable – Hacking is possible in any type of website irrespective of the technology if you don’t keep the security measures in place. Keep your file manager clear of any malware or virus and WordPress will be really a tough job for hackers. Also keep all the plugins, themes and core up to date. WordPress website’s hacking has more to with php’s vulnerabilities than of WordPress’. Website’s management plays a vital role in its security.
People mostly focus only on the strongness of their Password but easily guessable admin URLs like …../wp-admin , easily guessable username like admin are equally dangerous. If they already know the path to your admin login page and Username, they just have to work on the password.
Un-authenticated plugins/themes are also one big source of the problem in WordPress website. Hackers or spammers create such plugins and leave a backdoor entry for themselves in these plugins. Once you install these plugins/themes, these hackers got access to your website and they can wreck havoc on your website.
If you search well there are really very creative and beautiful themes available in WordPress inventory for free will limitless customization. Also you can go for premium WordPress themes if you want to a level ahead. Thus creativity is not a barrier.
- WordPress websites are slow – WordPress websites are slow if they are not maintained properly. If you keep performance measures in place, your WordPress can be really fast. There are several plugins available which can help you keep your WordPress website fast and manage the performance issues like caching etc. If you are facing difficulty with your WordPress website’s performance, check with your hosting service provider and ask him to suggest you a better solution. Even most of the hosting companies are offering specialized WordPress hosting with configuration optimized for WordPress websites. A few companies like WPEngine which are offering only WordPress Hosting.
- Custom codes can’t be written in WordPress – Custom codes and functions can be written in WordPress if you have good knowledge about WordPress coding structure. You can show your coding skills quite easily in WordPress. One way is you can directly enter for codes in function.php and other such files. Another way is that there are some plugins which help you in writing php code in WordPress pages/posts without getting into the coding of WordPress.
- If there comes an error my WordPress site will die – No its not the case, there is a really huge community around WordPress and you can find a solution to any error. So you can always revive your site with very little effort. Find the list of major issues and their solutions in WordPress website here. Only requirement is that you need to spend some time searching ofr the solution. If you are not a tech-savvy person and also don’t want to spend time in searching for a solution, then better find a professional who can help you make your website working again.
- WordPress is not Customizable – Wordpress websites are highly customizable. Again it depends upon the developer’s skills. It can be customized to any extent if your developer is skilled enough and ready to spend enough time on it.
Hope some of your myths about WordPress are busted with this article. You can go ahead with WordPress for your website with a clear mind. Mention in comments if you have come across any other myth about WordPress which we missed here. I will try to burst it too.