MORE IMAGES MAKES A WEBSITE SLOWER. It is absolutely true. But what if your website can’t run without the number of images. Let’s consider an Online Store website, which need a big number of images to display its products. Now you can’t avoid images but still you want your website to load faster.
There can such numerous situations where you have no other option but to use a large number of images on your website. For some professionals like Interior Designer, Architects, Graphics designers it is must to keep a portfolio on their websites. So now you need to know some ways to optimize images on WordPress website to make it perform as expected.
Though you have multiple online and offline tools to reduce the size and weight of the Image, you should give attention to the fact that the image quality shouldn’t be compromised while you optimize the images for your website. Blur, Squeezed, Stretched images may look very bad on your website.
Problems due to Non-Optimzed Images –
If the images used in the website are not optimised it can cause several issues. Some are listed below :
- Website will load slower as it will take more time for the browser to load heavy images.
- Images might look cropped, squeezed, stretched if they are not resized properly.
- You might be using bigger size images at places where a smaller size image would do like thumbnails. For obvious reason it will take lesser time to load a smaller size image than a larger size image.
- Page loading speed also affects the Search Engine ranking of your website. They realize that the visitors will not feel good while visiting your website as it will take them quite a longer time to navigate through.
- Bounce rate for your website pages will increase as your visitors will close the website once they find it is taking longer for them to access the information they are looking for.
Benefits of Image optimisation –
After Image optimisation your website will start to load faster and its performance will improve. Major benefits are listed below:
- Once the images are properly resized, you can show relevant sized images.
- As a smaller sized image will be used wherever necessary, it will be faster to load.
- Your website’s ranking on search engine will improve as it will start loading faster.
- Bounce rate will decrease as visitors will be able to navigate through the website more easily.
Best Methods to Optimize Images on WordPress Website –
Image optimisation can be done in several ways like :
- Compressing the Images with lossless methods so the image quality is not compromised
- Duplicating the Images to multiple sizes
- Enable Image caching techniques
- Lazy Loading of Images and webpage
- Optimising server setting for best performance
- Enable data compression on server so the data between server and client is propagated in compressed mode thus making the movement faster.
- Reduce the use of image animation tools like slider, carousel as with these kind of tools you can put more number of images in lesser space and thus increasing the overall weight of the page.
There are several plugins available to implement Image optimisation techniques in a WordPress website, the best ones are described below :
1. Use Image Compression Plugins –
Images you create or download from internet might be heavy in weight, sometimes even in hundreds of Kbs. If you use these images directly they will take time to show and in turn will make your website load slower. You must compress these images to make them lighter and easy to load. But while compressing it must be ensured that the image quality is not significantly compromised.
There are few WordPress plugins available which can accomplish your task. Some of the best are as follows :
These plugins are really awesome and can reduce significant weight from your images sometimes even upto 90% without compromising the quality of the images. You must keep one of them to keep your images size under check. Both have options to compress already uploaded images in bulk also. In my opinion 2nd one is better. Get more details about Image Compression plugins for WordPress website here
2. Use Caching Plugins –
Caching is a process in which static html pages are created and stored from the dynamic content. These static pages will then be displayed when requested, which increase the speed of website. It also caches the images thus reducing the time in fetching the images from the image URLs.
There are several caching plugins available, best of them are as follows :
3. Lazy Load Plugins –
Lazy loading is one awesome technique to speed up your WordPress website. Instead of loading the all the images at once, they are loaded lazily as you scroll down the page. As you open a webpage, the images in the part of the page which comes exactly in the screen size is loaded first. Image in the remaining part of the page keep loading later.
There are several WordPress plugins available for this purpose. Some of them are listed blow :
It is specially useful for the websites with long pages with a large number of images.
4. Image Resizing Plugins –
Resizing an already uploaded image to various size is also a very important task as single image is needed to display at several place in different locations. So if we have the images available in various sizes we can use the most optimum one accordingly. Using the resized images we can avoid the display of squeezed/stretched images.
There are some WordPress plugins available for this purpose. Some are listed below:
- Compress JPEG and PNG images – Get it here – It also has the functionality to create duplicates of an image in multiple sizes.
- Resize Image after upload – Get it here
Resizing is specially useful for the Online Store type websites as product images are to be displayed at multiple locations in different sizes.